Walter Hawkins has served the City of Orlando for 24 years. In 2003, Mayor Buddy Dyer appointed Hawkins to serve as the Director of Urban Development for the city’s Community Redevelopment Agency. In addition to overseeing the revitalization of the Parramore District, Hawkins is also responsible for communicating and advising the Mayor’s Office, Executive Management and the Economic Development Department.
With an exemplary commitment to service, Hawkins is former Special Assistant to Mayor Glenda E. Hood, and during his tenure was assigned to the city’s Community Youth and Service Department as Director. As a passionate advocate for youth programs and volunteerism, Hawkins has served on the following boards:
- Professional Opportunities Program for Students, Inc., Chairman, Board of Directors (BOD)
- Board member of Orlando’s Promise, affiliate of America’s Promise
- Senior’s First Foundation, Former Chairman and BOD. Member
- Orange County Youth and Families Board
- Downtown Orlando Partnership Board, Former President and BOD Member
- Central Florida March of Dimes, Former Chairman and Board Member
- BETA Center Board of Directors, Former, Chairman, BOD Member
Hawkins has been an active member of Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church for fifty-two years. He currently serves on the adult usher board and as a counselor for youth ushers.
A graduate of Jones High School, Savannah State University and St. Thomas University, Hawkins is also a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.